Medicine Bow Radio,
Construction started in 1929 and
was completed in 1930. According to the Aircraft
Year Book, this site was the last station constructed to complete the entire
Low Frequency Range system. The building in this photo is very solid.
It's two rooms,
one for living quarters and the other, a much smaller room, contained the radio gear and
history, teletype. It was heated with a coal stove and electric power was
locally to operate the electrical equipment. In case of power failure a 550 gallon
(missing) supplied fuel to run a generator. The fuel tank was normally located
the caretakers quarters (above building) and the beacon tower.
note: The Union Pacific Railroad is very close and Highway 30, the
connect the Midwest with the West is 1 1/2 miles away. The Overland Trail
1800's is very close and of course this Low Frequency Airway. They all
Photos and information submitted
by Steve Wolff, Laramie, WY.
to Facility Photos home page.